printing instructions for letter size (8.5x11 in) inserts
- Letter Size Printable PDF Files
- Adobe Reader - Free Download
- 8.5 x 11 inch 24lb, 28lb, or 32lb paper
- Hole Punch
- If you are printing your inserts at home, it is highly recommended to use a fresh ink cartridge and higher quality paper. White card stock or 24lb - 32lb paper is best.
- Borderless Printing: Check your printer for a borderless printing option. If your printer does not have the option for borderless printing, the page design will not print to the edges and there will be a white border along the sides.
- If you are having your pages printed professionally: Please review the instructions and be familiar with them before you go to the print shop. Before you begin printing the files I recommend showing the files and the instructions to one of the associates and asking if they are able to print the files per the instructions. Some print shops may not be able to print in the format you need. Also asking if a test print can be provided will help you decide if printing the entire file at the print shop will work for you.
Editing Text Fields
- Please note that not all inserts have editable text fields.
- Make sure you have the latest version of Adobe Reader on your computer. Using another program may not display the correct fonts or text alignment.
- Editable Text Fields: If the file has editable text fields they will appear as blue boxes in Adobe Reader (refer to individual product listing descriptions to see if the file has editable text). It is recommended to save the file after adding new information to each page. I also recommend closing the file, re-opening it, and making sure your changes have saved before adding text throughout the entire document.
- Editable Plain Text: Please note that the font in the plain text fields can not be changed. Don't like the plain text font or color? See the instructions for adding your own custom text.
- Once your file is open in Adobe Reader select "File > Print".
- Click on the "Page Setup" button and select"Borderless 8.5 x 11 inches". (Check printer manual for this capability). Not all printers are able to print borderless. If your printer does not have borderless printing as an option then you will get a thin white border around the edges of the paper.
- After selecting borderless, the option to select two-sided printing no longer works on my printer (this may also be the case with your printer) so in order to print the pages front to back without doing each one individually, you need to select "Preview" and search for "Paper Handling" in the pull down menu.
- In "Paper Handling", under the "Pages to Print" drop down menu, select to print "Odd Only".
- Then select "Normal" for page order.
- Once your Odd pages are printed, you will want to feed that stack of pages back into your printer in whichever direction YOUR printer feeds paper back in. Many printers feed paper differently, you will want to be observant of that. In most cases, you will feed the odd pages in the exact way they came out. Then you can print the even pages. (I recommend doing a test print of 4 pages to make sure you have the correct settings, that paper is being fed in correctly, and that the pages are in order).
- After selecting "Borderless" again (it restores to default after each print), go back to "Paper Handling" and select "Even Only" now.
- Then select "Reverse" Order
- You should end up with the pages printed in the proper order.
- Hole punch or bind your pages and enjoy!